Job of the Day – National Network of Public Health Institutes, Public Health Improvement Program Coordinator
The National Network of Public Health Institutes (NNPHI) was formally established in 2001 to recognize and enhance the work of the nation’s public health institutes. NNPHI has thirty-eight members in 28 states covering several major metropolitan areas, such as New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago and Washington DC, among others. NNPHI members are primarily independent 501c3 organizations; some are university affiliated and there are several provisional and affiliate members. NNPHI is housed at the Louisiana Public Health Institute in New Orleans, Louisiana, with whom it has an operational management contract to receive leadership and administrative infrastructure support. The vision of the NNPHI is fostering innovations that improve health. The mission is to promote multi-sector activities resulting in measurable improvements of public health structures, systems and outcomes.
NNPHI has a history of collaborating with its member public health institutes and a wide range of national, state and local partners to support public health initiatives that address health equity, public health performance improvement, evaluation and research, health policy, evidence-based public health practice, workforce, and leadership development. Additional information about NNPHI’s program areas and collaborative efforts with public health institutes is available at www.nnphi.org.
The Program Coordinator will work with the Public Health Improvement Team to coordinate several key components related to NNPHI programs that:
- Build capacity among the nations’ health departments to seek accreditation and implement specific strategies to improve performance
- Facilitate learning collaboratives of public health professionals across the nation who are engaged in performance improvement work; and
- Provide support to NNPHI members who serve as key partners in improving performance of the public health system.
The position will be based in New Orleans, Louisiana, but will work closely with and report directly to the Associate Director for Public Health Improvement based in Washington, DC.
1. Coordinate day to day activities for assigned projects:
- Develop and update timelines;
- Coordinate meetings;
- Draft meeting agendas;
- Create and disseminate meeting minutes; and
- Assist with development/review of project documents
2. Provide support to national meetings and trainings related to public health improvement initiatives (approximately 4-6 per year), including:
- Develop and manage meeting/training timelines;
- Lead communications and marketing;
- Participate in planning workgroup and record summaries of workgroup meetings;
- Assist with budget preparation and monitoring;
- Create and maintain an online training registration system;
- Oversee coordination of logistics (securing location, working with the location staff regarding room set up, meals, etc);
- Liaise with meeting and training participants;
- Oversee collection and production of meeting materials;
3. Support Communications activities, including:
- Monitor and keep current NNPHI web-pages related to public health improvement initiatives;
- Work with team members to develop marketing and promotional materials for meetings, trainings, webinars, and other events;
- Contribute to the development and dissemination of briefs, reports and presentations;
- Contribute to the develop written products that promote NNPHI and its members’ work;
- Assist with development of written products describing/promoting NNPHI.
4. Support capacity-building teleconferences and webinars, including:
- Coordinate presenters and assist with scheduling;
- Facilitate marketing for teleconferences/webinars;
- Assist with agenda development and distribution;
- Record summary of teleconferences/webinars and post online.
5. Contribute to ongoing process evaluation of the project and assist with implementing improvement plans
6. Contribute to reports for funders, partners, and the NNPHI Membership
7. Develop and maintain relationships with national public health partner organization staff
8. Collaborate closely with NNPHI staff team
9. Additional duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences, or related field (or Bachelor’s degree and 3 years relevant experience).
- Experience with the coordination of public health programs
- Experience with meeting and event planning, preferably on a national scale
- Experience with web communications and social media
- Familiarity with national public health issues, accreditation, and quality improvement preferred
- Familiarity with governmental public health in the United States
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information in a non-technical manner
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of information
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Strong attention to detail
- Good organization skills with the ability to manage heavy workloads and multiple tasks
- Ability to think proactively and function independently
- Ability to learn new subject areas quickly
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, as well as web-based platforms for data management, evaluation, and marketing/communications
Salary dependent on education and experience.
NNPHI offers a competitive benefits package.
Please send CV, cover letter and a list of three references to email@example.com. Subject line should read as follows Public Health Improvement Program Coordinator